The Office of the Prime Minister is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the post of Research Manager (Contract) in the National Commission on Violence Prevention (NCVP) Unit. Salary range of $3,032,763 – $3,605,002 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
The Research Manager in collaboration with the Chairperson of the NCVP and the Commissioners is responsible to finalize the development and guide implementation of the work plan for the Technical Unit and will select the appropriate methodologies and techniques to provide insights to the issues at hand. The Research Manager oversees the staff within the Technical Unit as well as the Secretariat for the Commission. The Research Manager will also be mainly responsible for leading and managing the research activities of the NCVP while interfacing with Ministries, Departments and Agencies and international organizations.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
In collaboration with the Commission, coordinates and determine research objectives through the creation of a plan of action, setting of project goals, and managing to completion.
• Provides expert advice and specialist assistance to the Chairperson and the Commissioners.
• Prepares Progress, Annual, Special and other reports as determined by the Commissioners.
• Manages the Capital and Recurrent Budget for the NCVP with support from the Administrative Manager.
• Develops/prepares work plan for Technical Unit • Oversees all research conducted for the Commission by ensuring that: the Research Calendar for the Commission is maintained.
- the research proposals are developed for possible areas of exploration and that detailed research plans are created, and related data collected.
- the unit collects, analyzes and presents quantitative and qualitative data to support the development of recommendations with respect to Violence Prevention.
- there is a mechanism in place to maintain and capture relevant and up to date information on matters pertinent to Violence Prevention.
- the reports are prepared using infographics and other innovative and engaging means of presenting voluminous and complex data and research findings so that the information can be communicated for the consumption of the public.
- high quality research reports, briefing papers and discussion papers are prepared and that they can withstand challenges and scrutiny.
- the coordination of documentation and archiving of knowledge around all violence prevention projects and ensure that all lessons learnt are documented.
- a database on local and international best practices and research is maintained within the Unit.
- Generate sharp policy briefs and recommendations for improved violence programme using evidence generated by basic and evaluation research.
- Identifies learning and developmental needs of employees and ensures that they are adequately addressed.
- Develops, implements and manages systems and procedures to meet the research needs of the Commission.
- Reviews and ensures that all analysis of findings, preparation of reports, summary documents and material for publication and communication are at a high standard.
- Manages the acquisition of technical expertise to support the execution of research plans and the documentation of findings, in accordance with GOJ procurement and recruitment guidelines.
- Oversees the work assigned to other members of the Technical Unit and work assigned to persons outside of the Unit.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent analytical and research skills.
• Excellent judgement and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent planning and organizational skills.
• Excellent leadership and management skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Competent and practiced in evaluation research.
• Ability to cope well under pressured working conditions.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to think strategically.
• Ability to manage and work in a multi–cultural environment.
• Ability to work with and lead a team.
• Knowledge of statistical methods and survey design.
• Knowledge of social research and data analysis.
• Knowledgeable in various research and testing methodologies
• Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel PowerPoint), statistical software (SPSS) and Internet research.
• Demonstrates understanding of research, monitoring and evaluation principles and practices.
Minimum Required Education and Experience
The Research Manager must meet the minimum required qualifications as detailed below or equivalency. Equivalency decisions are made based on a combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities.
➢ Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Public Administration or Management Studies or other related Social Sciences from an accredited tertiary institution.
➢ PhD Degree in Business Administration or Public Administration or Management Studies or other related Social Sciences from an accredited tertiary institution would be an asset.
➢ At least five (5) years’ work experience in research or statistics (strong analytical skills required) with at least three (3) years at a senior management level.
➢ Experience in Research and Statistics.
➢ Manage the budget provided to the Commission.
➢ Authorize disbursements for the Unit.
➢ Sign correspondence and financial documents.
Applications accompanied by résumé should be submitted no later than Friday, February 5, 2021 to:
Senior Director Human Resource Development & Management Office of the Prime Minister 1 Devon Road Kingston 10.
Email: [email protected]
Further details of the post may be obtained from the HRDM Division.
We thank you all for responding, however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted