The Office of the Prime Minister is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the post of Senior Research Officer (SOG/ST 7) (Contract) in the National Commission on Violence Prevention (NCVP). Salary range of $2,028,736 – $2,411,529 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Reporting to the Research Manager, the Senior Research Officer assists with the preparation of the workplan for the Technical Unit and undertakes research functions for the Commission.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Develops, implements and manage systems and procedures to meet the research needs of the Commission.
• Designs research solutions including data collection tools/instruments (surveys, questionnaires).
• Tests research methodologies to confirm intended purpose of evaluation.
• Performs fieldwork, interviews, experiments, to gather data.
• Collects, analyzes and presents quantitative and qualitative data to support the development of recommendations with respect to Violence Prevention.
• Compiles and organizes findings in graphs, charts, mock-ups, and diagrams.
• Presents results of analysis in a clear and concise manner, orally, in writing and graphically.
• Reviews, analyzes and interprets data; Develops and presents statistical reports.
• Verifies information on research databases.
• Delivers presentations to local audiences as required.
• Prepares research papers and reports as assigned.
• Generates short and sharp policy-briefs and suggestions for improved violence programmes using evidence generated by basic and evaluation research.
• Develops research proposals for possible areas of exploration and ensures that detailed research plans are created, and related data collected.
• Analyzes and presents quantitative and qualitative data to support the development of recommendations with respect to Violence Prevention.
• Participates in the analysis of findings, preparation of reports, summary documents and material for publication and communication.
• Prepares high quality research and reports using infographics and other innovative and engaging means of presenting voluminous and complex data and research findings for the consumption of the public.
• Co-ordinates the documentation and archiving of knowledge around all violence prevention projects and ensure that all lessons learnt are documented.
• Collaborates with all members of the Technical Unit to ensure that a database on local and international best practices and research are maintained within the Unit.
•Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Qualitative and quantitative research skills including data analysis.
• Excellent research skills.
• Excellent problem-solving skills.
• Strong analytical and judgment and decision-making skills.
• Strong planning and organizational skills.
• Strong interpersonal and customer relations skills.
• Competent and practiced in evaluation research.
• Data Management skills.
• Ability to cope well under pressured working conditions.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to think strategically.
• Ability to manage and work in a multi–cultural environment.
• Ability to work with a team.
• Knowledge of statistical methods and survey design.
• Knowledge of social research and data analysis.
• Knowledgeable in various research and testing methodologies.
• Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel PowerPoint), statistical software (SPSS) and Internet research.
• Demonstrates understanding of research, monitoring and evaluation principles and practices.
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
The Senior Research Officer must meet the minimum required qualifications as detailed below or equivalency. Equivalency decisions are made based on a combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities.
➢ Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Public Administration or Management Studies or other related Social Sciences from an accredited tertiary institution.
➢ At least three (3) years’ work experience in research or statistics (strong analytical skills required)
➢ Experience in fieldwork
Special Conditions Associated with Job
• A valid driver’s license and owns a reliable motor vehicle.
• May be required to travel outside of Kingston, to meetings, consultations and conferences etc.
Applications accompanied by résumé should be submitted no later than Friday, May 7, 2021 to:
Senior Director Human Resource Development & Management
Office of the Prime Minister
1 Devon Road Kingston 10.
Email: [email protected]
Further details of the post may be obtained from the HRDM Division. We thank you all for responding, however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted