- The KingstOOn Animation Conference and Film Festival (hereinafter called “KingstOOn”) is an activity of the Youth Employment in the Digital and Animation Industries (YEDAI) Project being implemented by the Office Of The Prime Minister in collaboration with the World Bank and is aimed at supporting youth employment in the new and emerging animation industry in Jamaica.
- Since its launch in June 2013, KingstOOn has catalyzed a number of players and created and continued to build momentum for the development of the local animation industry. The first staging of the event attracted over 900 animation enthusiasts who participated in various workshops, conferences, speed pitching sessions, and competitions. A number of important initiatives that followed, delivered concrete results on the ground including the launch of animation training programmes, new contracts signed by animation studios, increased collaboration with international players, new employment opportunities for youth in the sector, and the establishment of the YEDAI Project.
- Continuing the efforts to develop the animation industry, the second staging of KingstOOn was held in March 2016 and showed significantly improved participation over its predecessor, with an attendance of over 1300 animation enthusiasts from across the globe, with over 900 competition entries from 97 countries. New dimensions of the festival included a Pitch Development boot camp, Pitch competition, and screenings of animation films, under three major themes of EARN, LEARN and DISPLAY.
- KingstOOn is an important contribution to the development of the animation industry in Jamaica and the region. The festival reflects the commitment by the Government of Jamaica and the World Bank, to stimulate the growth of the local animation industry and to establish Jamaica as the animation hub of the Caribbean.
2.0 PROJECT OBJECTIVES
- The general objective of the Youth Employment in the Digital and Animation Industries (YEDAI) Project is to support youth employment in the digital and animation industries. Under Component 1 ‘Skills and Capacity to Enhance Employability and Entrepreneurship’ the Project seeks to build the capacity and skills of Jamaican youths to improve their employability in the growing animation industry and in the global online labour market, and provide critical skills to young tech entrepreneurs to bring ideas to market. There are two sub-components: Sub-Component 1 –Strengthening Animation Training and Sub-Component 2 – Enhancing the Animation Industry by collaborating with key stakeholders, especially Jamaica Promotions Corporation (JAMPRO), Jamaica’s national investment and export promotion agency, mandated to drive Jamaica’s economic development through growth in investment and export.
3.0 ASSIGNMENT/CONSULTANCY OBJECTIVES
- KingstOOn is an annual multi-day, multi-track international animation event, which provides Jamaicans with the opportunity to showcase their growth in the animation industry, while creating an international marketplace for animated content and technology in the Caribbean. The anticipated daily attendance is expected to grow over the next two events (2018 and 2019) to 1800 – 2000.
- The objectives of the event are to:
- Provide participants, and in particular Caribbean animators and associated professionals, with avenues to continue to LEARN about various elements of the global animation industry.
- Create opportunities for participants to EARN from their engagement in the animation industry at all levels.
- DISPLAY animated content.
4.0 CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CONSULTANCY
4.1 Type of consultancy
The assignment will be carried out by an Individual consultant with qualifications and experience in Coordination of Animation Festivals and/or Conferences or events of a similar nature. The consultant will be required to work in country throughout all phases of the event.
4.2 DURATION OF CONTRACT
The assignment will span a period two hundred and eighty (280) non-consecutive days over a period of sixteen (16) months and will cover activities to be implemented before, during and after the event for the next two iterations of KingstOOn in 2018 and 2019 respectively.
4.3 REPORTING RELATIONSHIP
The Consultant will report directly to the Project Manager of the Youth Employment in Digital and Animation Industries (YEDAI) Project. The Consultant will work in close collaboration with the YEDAI Project Implementation Unit (PIU), in particular the Animation Specialist and the KingstOOn Planning Team.
5.0 GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
5.1 The Festival Coordinator is responsible for the overall coordination of KingstOOn to ensure that all aspects of the event are managed efficiently and effectively so that all event activities are executed in a timely manner, and with minimum hurdles.
The position focuses on:
- all related administrative duties;
- stakeholder consultations;
- competition management;
- identification of and securing guest speakers and judges;
- volunteer training and management;
- overseeing the setting up venues;
- ensuring event sponsorships are secured;
- communication with guest speakers, judges, and other participants;
- any other tasks related to the smooth execution of the event.
Prior the event, the Festival Coordinator will work in close collaboration with the KingstOOn Planning Team, in particular the Public Relations, Communications and Marketing Consultant in the planning and execution of a public relations, communications and marketing campaign, including social media marketing, website development, press releases, printed material, media launch, etc.
6.0 SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND TIMELINES
The Festival Coordinator will be tasked with working closely with the PIU and the KingstOOn Planning Team to accomplish the following:
- One hundred and twenty (120) non-consecutive days preparing for KingstOOn 2018 and 2019 (total 240 days).
- Within three weeks of the signing of the contract,
- refine and update the existing KingstOOn Concept Note based on local and international stakeholder consultations;
- develop a comprehensive work plan outlining pre-event, event and post-event activities, deliverables and timelines.
- Review and refine the competitions rules and selection criteria.
- In collaboration with the KingstOOn Planning Team, in particular the Public Relations, Communications and Marketing Consultant in the planning and execution of a public relations, communications and marketing campaign, including social media marketing, website development, press releases, printed material, media launch, etc.
- Identify and secure guest speakers, judges, volunteers and other relevant stakeholders that will participate in the
- Confirm exhibitors (educational institutions, sponsors, animation studios, investors, etc.).
- Prepare and maintain current lists of guest speakers, judges, sponsors, competition finalists, volunteers, exhibitors, and other participants prior and during the event, and issue relevant communication.
- Assist in the preparation, issuing and confirmation of invitations;
- Assist in identifying logistical requirements for the festival, including air and ground transportation, accommodation, catering, venue, décor, and branding material.
- Identify goods and services to be procured.
- Assist in the management of event registration and ticketing system.
- Scheduling of all pre-event, event and post-event activities (competitions, film screenings, workshops, master classes, seminars, media events, networking sessions, business meetings, etc.).
- Manage the training and delegation of assignments to volunteers.
- Assist in the vetting and arrangement of content for screenings and exhibitions (trailers, sponsor ads, logos, etc.).
- Making recommendations on the technical requirements for the development of the KingstOOn Website.
- Assist in the creation, editing and proofing of content for the KingstOOn website, social media pages, press releases, printed material and other communications.
- Manage communications with external stakeholders and the animation community at large.
- Convening all planning meetings and ensuring all meeting notes are sent to the KingstOOn Planning Team within twenty four hours post meeting.
- Following up on all the action items and timelines with each member of the KingstOOn Planning Team and providing support as needed.
- Manage and attend events directly related to the successful execution of the festival, such as meetings, presentations, media launch, interviews and other festivals.
- Within three weeks of the signing of the contract,
- Seven (7) consecutive days on-site coordination at KingstOOn 2018 and 2019 (14 days total for each event).
- The consultant is required to be on-site coordinating with the KingstOOn Planning Team to ensure smooth set up (2 days before the event), and pull down (two days after the event).
- The consultant is required to be on-site throughout the event to manage the coordination of all aspects of the event, including managing the volunteers work flow, setup of exhibitions, screenings, workshops/masterclasses, and other logistical requirements.
- Ensure event flow and event schedule is adhered to, by ensuring speakers, exhibitors, sponsors, and participants, are in the proper place at the proper time.
- Thirty (30) non-consecutive days (in country) conducting wrap up activities.
- Evaluate the outcomes of the Festival through effective survey design and implementation.
- Participate in a debriefing session to identify successes, key challenges, lessons learnt and recommendations of appropriate mitigation measures to be employed for future events.
- Prepare a written Final Report that includes detailed evaluation and recommendations for improvement of Festival.
7.0 QUALIFICATIONS AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Project Management or related field.
- At least five (3) years’ experience in event operations.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in planning and implementation of animation festivals/conferences or events of a similar nature.
- Ability to work flexible and extended hours (including evenings, nights and weekends) especially close to and during the event.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key players (local and international) in the animation industry (experts in various disciplines, animation studios, educational institutions, investors, sponsors, broadcasters, financiers, licensing and distribution companies, content buyers and content sellers).
- Demonstrated knowledge of print and electronic media platforms and entities.
- Capable of handling interaction with a multi-disciplinary team, internal and external partners.
- Enjoy working in a busy environment and be able to mutli-task.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated high proficiency using all Microsoft Office Programmes.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, Mail Chimp and WordPress would be an asset.
- Ability and willingness to perform both small and large tasks.
The following would be assets:
- Passion/interest in animation and for development projects with social outcomes.
- Previous experience with the KingstOOn or similar event.
- Previous experience in the areas of Animation, Innovation, and Youth Engagement.
A lump sum contract will be awarded to the selected candidate based on technical merit. Payments shall be as mutually agreed, based upon submission and acceptance of the following outputs:
- Comprehensive work plan outlining pre-event, event and post event activities, deliverables and timelines.
- KingstOOn Concept Note, including background, goal and objectives, targets and outcomes.
- KingstOOn competition categories and rules.
- KingstOOn schedule outlining activities and timelines, description, names of speakers, speaker profile, venue map, etc.
- Compilation list of guest speakers, judges, sponsors, competition finalists, attendees, volunteers and other participants.
- Design, implement, and analyze a survey for KingstOOn participants to be completed after each session.
- Design of post KingstOOn survey to be conducted six (6) months after the event.
- Interim Reports and planning documents as required by the Project Manager.
- Final Report that includes detailed evaluation and recommendations for improvement of the event, which will include execution guide, event requirements, resource list.
Festival Coordinator Evaluation Criteria
1. Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Project Management or related field.
|Competencies and Professional Experience:
1. At least five (5) years’ experience in planning and implementation of animation festivals/conferences or events of a similar nature.
|2. Ability to work flexible and extended hours (including evenings, nights and weekends) especially close to and during the event.||4
|3. Demonstrated knowledge of key players (local and international) in the animation industry (experts in various disciplines, animation studios, educational institutions, investors, sponsors, broadcasters, financiers, licensing and distribution companies, content buyers and content sellers).||
|4. Demonstrated knowledge of print and electronic media platforms and entities.||4|
|5. Capable of handling interaction with a multi-disciplinary team, internal and external partners.||4|
|6. Capable of working in a busy environment and be able to mutli-task.||3|
|7. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.||
|8. Demonstrated high proficiency using all Microsoft Office Programmes.||2|
|9. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, Mail Chimp and WordPress would be an asset.||3|
|The minimum qualifying score: 37.5|