- The KingstOOn Animation Festival is an activity of the Youth Employment in the Digital and Animation Industries (YEDAI) Project being implemented by the Office of The Prime Minister in collaboration with the World Bank and is aimed at supporting youth employment in the new and emerging animation industry in Jamaica.
- Since its launch in June 2013, KingstOOn has catalyzed a number of players and created and continued to build momentum for the development of the local animation industry. The first staging of the event attracted over 900 animation enthusiasts who participated in various workshops, conferences, speed pitching sessions, and competitions. A number of important initiatives that followed, delivered concrete results on the ground including the launch of animation training programmes, new contracts signed by animation studios, increased collaboration with international players, new employment opportunities for youth in the sector, and the establishment of the YEDAI Project.
- Continuing the efforts to develop the animation industry, the second staging of KingstOOn was held in March 2016 and showed significantly improved participation over its predecessor, with an attendance of over 1300 animation enthusiasts from across the globe, with over 900 competition entries from 97 countries. New dimensions of the festival included a Pitch Development boot camp, Pitch competition, and screenings of animation films, under three major themes of EARN, LEARN and DISPLAY.
- KingstOOn is an important contribution to the development of the animation industry in Jamaica and the region. The festival reflects the commitment by the Government of Jamaica and the World Bank, to stimulate the growth of the local animation industry and to establish Jamaica as the animation hub of the Caribbean.
2.0 Project Objectives
2.1 The general objective of the Youth Employment in the Digital and Animation Industries (YEDAI) Project is to support youth employment in the digital and animation industries. Under Component 1 ‘Skills and Capacity to Enhance Employability and Entrepreneurship’ the Project seeks to build the capacity and skills of Jamaican youths to improve their employability in the growing animation industry and in the global online labour market, and provide critical skills to young tech entrepreneurs to bring ideas to market. There are two sub-components: Sub-Component 1 –Strengthening Animation Training and Sub-Component 2 – Enhancing the Animation Industry by collaborating with key stakeholders, especially Jamaica Promotions Corporation (JAMPRO), Jamaica’s national investment and export promotion agency, mandated to drive Jamaica’s economic development through growth in investment and export.
3.0 Assignment/Consultancy Objectives
3.1 The KingstOOn Animation Festival is an annual multi-day, multi-track international animation event, which provides Jamaicans with the opportunity to showcase their growth in the animation industry, while creating an international marketplace for animated content and technology. The anticipated daily attendance for the next two events (2018 and 2019) is 1500-2000.
3.2 The objectives of the Festival are to:
- Provide participants, and in particular Caribbean animators and associated professionals, with the avenues to begin to LEARN various elements of the global animation industry.
- Create opportunities for participants to EARN from their engagement in the animation industry at all levels.
- DISPLAY animated content in the Animation Film Festival.
4.0 Characteristics of the Consultancy
4.1 Type of consultancy
The assignment will be carried out by an individual consultant with qualifications and experience in the design, layout, coding, updating and maintenance of dynamic websites.
4.2 Duration Of Contract
The assignment will span a period of sixteen (16) months and will cover pre-event, event and post event activities for the next two iterations of KingstOOn in 2018 and 2019 respectively.
4.3 Reporting Relationship
The consultant will report directly to the Project Manager of the Youth Employment in Digital and Animation Industries Project. The consultant will work in close collaboration the Project Implementation Unit (PIU), in particular the Animation Specialist and the KingstOOn Planning Team.
5.0 Scope of Work
The consultant will be responsible for:
- Re-building the KingstOOn Website from concept to completion, including re-designing the layout, coding, regular updating and maintenance as required by the client. The consultant should strive to create a visually appealing website that features user-friendly design and clear navigation.
- Developing the YEDAI Project Website from concept to completion, including designing the layout, coding, regular updating and maintenance as required by the client. The consultant should strive to create a visually appealing website that features user-friendly design and clear navigation.
- Both websites will include (but not limited to) the following capabilities:
- Calendar, events, reminders, calendar integration;
- Social media integration;
- Site Map;
- Photo and video galleries;
- Email notifications;
- Mass email/messaging;
- Search functionality;
- Content management system (e.g. Joomla, Worldpress or Drupal);
- Registration modules;
- Site statistics/management reports (registration, applications, site usage, and other relevant statistical data)
- Survey and poll;
- Browser compatibility (with all current versions of browsers);
- Mobile optimization (e.g. visually responsive to mobile phones and tablets).
The general duties of the consultant will include:
- Develop a comprehensive work plan outlining project tasks, deliverables and timelines.
- Continue the hosting and maintenance of the current KingstOOn website, which would include regular updating of the website with content provided by the authorized personnel.
- Liaise with PIU and KingstOOn Planning Team to understand user’s needs, gather and refine specifications and requirements, identify corresponding user interface requirements, workflows and functionalities based on technical needs.
- Develop a proposal for the aesthetic design of the both the KingstOOn website and the YEDAI Project Website, including wireframe, storyboards, and prototypes to propose options for implementation according the clients specifications.
- Create website layout/interfaces by using standard HTML/CSS practices.
- Create secured and authenticated web access solutions in accordance with current best practices.
- Write programme code, either from scratch and/or adapting existing software and graphics packages using best software development practices to meet business requirements.
- Integrate components to allow for review and testing, and make adjustments based on feedback received.
- Identify/troubleshoot potential problems.
- Integrate data from existing backend/services and databases.
- Ensure that the newly designed KingstOOn and YEDAI Project websites are up and running by August 31, 2018.
- Ensure and verify that the websites are up and running on a regular basis, and will revert to the back up whenever necessary.
- Maintain and update the websites with content provided by the authorized personnel.
- Ensure Search Engine Optimization activities for the websites.
- Liaise with the authorized personnel to ensure that they are able to edit and update the websites though a content management system.
- Liaise with the KingstOOn Planning Team and the PIU on a regular basis to understand users’ needs and identify corresponding interface requirements, workflows and functionalities.
- Carry out other relevant web-related tasks as requested.
- Ensure full backup of the websites for the duration of the contract. All back up files, including source code must be delivered to the Project Manager of the YEDAI Project on completion of the contract.
- The consultant will provide detailed monthly reports of the websites’ performance website performance as required by the Project Manager of the YEDAI Project.
- The Project can be worked on remotely and at flexible hours. Odd hours (nights and weekends) will be required as needed to meet productivity deadlines, in particular the weeks leading up to, during, and after the event.
6.0 Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Candidates are required to demonstrate at least five (5) years’ proven experience in graphic design, and technical implementation of dynamic user-interfaces in a web-based environment, by providing a portfolio containing examples of their achievements.
- Strong track record in web site design, security and administration, Google analytics; Search Engine Optimization.
- Solid understanding of the concepts of user experience, user interface design.
- Knowledge of industry-standard design tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Proven experience in using open source content management systems such as WordPress/Joomla/Drupal.
- Expert knowledge of .PHP, MySQL, and other server side patterns.
- Strong grasp of web-based security principles.
- Eye for design and attention to details are essential.
- Passion for staying up-to-date on the latest web technologies, industry standards, and trends.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent time management capabilities.
- Work effectively within a team.
- The following would be assets:
- Passion/interest for development projects with social outcomes.
- Experience in the areas of Animation, Innovation, and Youth Engagement.
A lump sum contract will be awarded to the selected candidate based on technical merit. Payments shall be made monthly based upon submission and acceptance of the following outputs:
- Comprehensive work plan outlining project tasks, timelines and estimated budget.
- Detailed monthly reports of the website’s performance website performance, including site statistics (registration data, site usage, and other relevant statistical data) and management reports as required by the Project Manager.
- Proposal for the aesthetic redesign of the existing website, including wireframe, storyboards, and prototypes to propose options for implementation according the clients specifications.
- Fully functional newly designed KingstOOn Website and the YEDAI Project Website up and running on the hosting server by August 31, 2018.
- Full back-up of the websites for the duration of the contract. All back up files, including web interface and design files, assets, databases and source code must be delivered to the Project Manager of the YEDAI Project as requested by the Project manager and upon completion of the contract.
- Interim reports as required by the Project Manager.
Website Designer and Developer Evaluation Criteria
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
|Competencies and Professional Experience:
1. Candidates are required to demonstrate at least five (5) years’ proven experience in graphic design, and technical implementation of dynamic user-interfaces in a web-based environment, by providing a portfolio containing examples of their achievements.
|2. Track record in web site design, security and administration, Google analytics; Search Engine Optimization.||4|
|3. Solid understanding of the concepts of user experience, user interface design.||4|
|4. Knowledge of industry-standard design tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.||3|
|6. Proven experience in using open source content management systems such as WordPress/Joomla/Drupal.||4|
|7. Expert knowledge of .PHP, MySQL, or other server side patterns.||4|
|8. Strong grasp of web-based security principles.||3|
|9. Eye for design and attention to details are essential.||3|
|10. Demonstrated knowledge of the latest web technologies, industry standards, and trends.||3|
|11. Strong written and oral communication skills.||2|
|12. Work effectively within a team.||2|
|The minimum qualifying score: 37.5|