Government Senators are currently locked in a special sitting of the Senate to further deliberations on the National Identification and Registration Act, 2017.
This is in an effort to ensure that the passage of the NIDS Bill is in the best interest of all citizens as the government pushes for the country to have a trusted centralized database to verify a person’s identity.
The special sitting was convened this morning (November 13), after the Senate suspended the debate on the Act on November 11 at 1:18 a.m.
A National Identification System (NIDS) will provide a comprehensive and secure structure to enable the capture and storage of identity information for all Jamaicans. Each citizen will be provided with a randomized nine-digit National Identification Number (NIN), which they will have for life.
The layered roll-out and management of the NIDS will be handled by a new agency, the National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA), pending the passage of the NIRA Act, 2017. NIRA will replace the Registrar General Department (RGD) and will provide more enhanced services.
- The National Identification System is important because for the first time Jamaicans will have a single source of trusted identity verification and better access to Government services making life easier for all Jamaicans.
- The National Identification System will enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of Government agencies and their delivery of services to the public. It will reduce the need for multiple registrations to access Government benefits.
- The National Identification System will protect you from fraud where people try to steal your identity. A NIDS will protect citizens by reducing identity theft and prevent them from being misidentified in a crime situation.
- The National Identification System will not take your DNA or your bank account information.
- The National Identification System does not want to know about your personal life. Just like the National Census, you can volunteer information, but you will not be forced to reveal your private business.
- The National Identification System will facilitate the growth and development of commercial and economic activity through a platform of greater security and integrity for Public-Private Partnerships.
- The National Identification System is moving forward and joining over 100 countries that have a National ID. This is about making your life better, join the digital economy, and support the NIDS.